Tuesday, July 1, 2014

¡Hola!
Well this is my first post since I have arrived in Alicante. This whole trip is full of "firsts!" My first time leaving the US by myself. My first time staying with a family that speaks no English. My first time either walking everywhere I go or taking the tram (like the subway but on train tracks and connected to power lines.) My first Spanish class solely in Spanish (and my professors first language is actually French, like what??) my first time by the Mediterranean Sea, and my first time at a topless beach!!
    {It was very interesting. All of the Americans just laugh because we want to take pictures of the beach but are afraid of catching a naked lady in the picture! It's not only people tanning with no tops, the walk up and down the beach topless! It's super weird for me (because I'm a very modest person) }

Coming to Europe, English is the minority! And everyone here almost knows 3-4 languages each, and sometimes a little English. I am one of three American’s in my grammar class. Most international students know some English, but you are not really allowed to use anything but Spanish. Since most are international, we are forced to use the Spanish because it’s pretty much our only way to communicate. Even my professor does not know English.
I got off the plane like happy, this is going to be great I'm pumped! Well I couldn't find my luggage, and I have no idea who to ask? I fight the tears because I have 15 minutes of free wifi to talk to my family. And I couldn't find who was picking me up. Freaked out to say the least.

But overall I know this is and will continue to be one of the most rewarding trips of my life. I am challenging myself in ways I never thought possible. Saying that, I mean that no, nada, not one class in the US can prepare you for speaking solely Spanish like actually being in Spain or Mexico, etc. I thought I knew Spanish fairly well, when it comes to surviving.... You just have to squeeze every bit of Spanish in your brain out! It takes a lot of concentration & energy. I leave the dinner table every night exhausted from listening and trying to translate what they are saying (of course they never stop or slow down going a mile a minute) every time I can speak to my fellow American students or someone back home, I rejoice knowing I can speak English and understand a complete sentence!

My days now consist of waking around 7 to get a shower and eat before I need to leave 5 minutes before 8 to walk to the tram station and catch the 8:08 tram to my university. Between stops and the distance it takes about 25 minutes to get to the school. I arrive around 8:40, and I need más cafe!! (Coffee) They offer coffee in the vending machines - great idea! I can buy a cup of cappuccino for .35 cents!! But the cups of coffee (as in size) here is teensy tiny compared to 16 oz. coffees in the US.
J
I have my grammar class from 9-12, and I have my conversation class from 12-1.
I ride the tram back home, and it's time for lunch and siesta. A siesta is a MUST when in Spain. Night life is later that normal (normal for me) Things don't really get going until like close to 10-11! Typically each night the American students in my program get together to either go for tapas (appetizers) or ice cream!
Like tonight (7/1) we are going out on the town to watch the USA play in the World Cup. It is a huge deal here for fútbol, as guessed because it is Europe.

It's hard to get everything in one post, so I will try to write sooner next time.
But if I left anything out that you're interested in, leave me a comment with your questions!
I would love to share more info on the city, the culture, and the language.

Gracias!

My Host Mom and her grand daughter 

1 comment:

  1. Just remember it gets easier the longer you are there!

    ReplyDelete