Sunday, July 6, 2014

One full week completed in Alicante

Okay- to leave off where I was on Tuesday’s post, I wrote about a group of American students and I going out to watch the soccer game. Well it was a school night so some of us didn’t want to stay out late so my friend Camille and I decided to catch a cab home. It was our first time in Alicante getting our own cabs… quite hilarious. The cabs here are not yellow (like in NYC) they are white and typically a van (that’s all I have noticed.) Camille and I, not being locals or too familiar with cabs here, she tries to hail a police car for a taxi ride! We laughed and laughed because the police cars are also white vans. Anyways, we made it back safely, but that memory is in the books.

Some of you may have seen some photos on my facebook from Tuesday’s activity, the Castillo de Alicante. It was beautiful because it is on the top of a mountain so once you reach the top you have a view of the sea, the city, and the mountains- absolutely stunning.

So, class is becoming less overwhelming. It is still difficult. My professor takes the class very seriously; we have several assignments (homework) every day. Our class 3 hours with a 15 minute break in between. After grammar, I head to conversation class for an hour. It is a lot of class in one day, but I really enjoy Spanish. Conversation class is just speaking and answering questions with our teacher. She is crazy, but it is really an enjoyable class.

This week we met our speaking partners (intercambios!) The speaking partners are people that volunteer through the university to help us practice our Spanish (and sometimes their English.) I share my speaking partner with my friend Angela. Our speaking partner is Pedro. He is super awesome and helpful. We first met them on the beach for ice cream. And yesterday (Saturday the 5th) we went to Guadalest a city 45 minutes outside of Alicante. We learned a little history and got to see the bluest lake ever! After the lake, we had Paella for lunch and then went to the beautiful waterfall. It was gorgeous!! I didn’t take my camera due to the hiking and water, but I included a few pictures from my phone.


I am starting to get into a routine here. Class in the morning, lunch after school, siesta, and out with friends on the town for the night. I really love every student in the program with me. We are like a small little family.

Friday, my friends Camille and Peter and I, fly out of Alicante to head to ROME, ITALY! We are super excited. Follow me on the journey.
Hasta Luego-

Millie 

No comments:

Post a Comment