Monday, July 14, 2014

When in Rome... (Italy- not Georgia)


I fell in love with the city of Rome, Italy in three days. I had to decide between going to Paris, France or Rome, Italy, and I don’t think I could have made a better decision. I loved seeing all of the beautiful architecture, eating the delicious food, and meeting very nice Italians! We tried our best to do every tourist attraction there is to do in Rome in two full days. We did it; we saw everything we had planned on our itinerary. It was an awesome trip!

Before we even left Alicante, we met an Italy native heading back home to Rome. He overheard us talking about our address, and he told us he lived very close! He was a HUGE blessing. We met up after the flight, and he took us to buy train tickets and get on the train to our apartment. Once we got off the train, he walked us to our apartment! How nice. Literally, we had no idea where we were going- God was looking out for us!

Our first full day (Saturday) we got to see the Colosseum, the Rome forum, we walked by the Tiber River, Rome’s oldest outdoor market, and the Pantheon. It was a super fun but full day! We took the metro (which is like the subway) like 2 trips on Saturday, but we walked mostly. Literally, we walked from one side of the city to the other. It was awesome getting to see all of the beautiful architecture and the city but also very tiring.

On Sunday, we went to walk up and see the Spanish steps. It is a very popular and busy area, but very nice! After, we went to this beautiful park where we walked around and had lunch & enjoyed cappuccino. We decided we wanted to go to the Vatican on Sunday, and we looked up the dress code… No shoulders or knees showing. So… I had to go buy pants because I never even thought about that! For dinner on Sunday, we decided to go out with a bang. We ordered four pastas among the three of us and shared. It was great- a real Italian experience! Afterwards, we decided to finish the night off with viewing the Colosseum at night. It was so beautiful; I am glad we got to see it both in the day and at night.

To finish off the trip leaving was a fiasco… (or I would refer to it as eventful) We first couldn’t get in contact with the owners of the apartment to check out. Next we went to the train station (post buying tickets) to find that the railroads were blocked, then the train station people would not help us because they didn’t speak a lick of English (translated- no refund.) So we finally contacted a taxi, got to the airport with 40 minutes before the plane boards. Well security was three miles long and too many people. Pushing it, we made it on time. I was worried, but I was praying the Lord to help us get back to Alicante.


Safe and sound, we are here in Alicante! Rome was super awesome, an experience I will never forget. It is a beautiful city full of nice Italians, good food, beautiful sites to see, and fun. I hope you all someday can experience Rome yourself. I loved it, and I am looking forward to going back someday. 
-Grazie! 
(Check out my facebook for more photos!)



No comments:

Post a Comment