Saturday, July 19, 2014

Things I miss back home...


For those of you that didn’t hear about me going to the doctor here, I will inform you now!  I asked our program director to make me an appointment with the doctor because I believed that my staph infection resurfaced. I was quite nervous when she emailed me back saying he doesn’t speak English… But turns out I understood 95% of everything that was said that day in the clinic. (Another plus- I didn’t have to pay a penny! J) I waited about an hour to see the doctor, when he took me into the room and asked what the problem was. I described to him that I had a skin infection. He checked it out for about 5 minutes, asked me a few questions, and then diagnosed me with an allergic reaction. It was an experience I won’t forget, but I am glad it wasn’t a bad experience.
Saying that… I would have to say that the three hardest things that I have done while being here are:
·         -Presenting my paper for grammar class in only Spanish
·         -Ordering my plane tickets to Italy in only Spanish (very scary! I’ve never bought my own plane tickets until coming here, and it was all in Spanish!)
·        - Then, going to the non-English speaking clinic & doctor.

And the top few things that I miss most from back home:
·      -   Peanut butter & Jelly
·     -    A car to drive/ ride in
·    -     Dark chocolate
·    -    Limon in my water
·   -     Mexican food
·    -     A bigger coffee (it’s about the size of a shot here)
·    -     Being able to not wear shoes in my own house
·   -     Being hydrated (they don’t drink nearly as much water here, or even have as much water resource here because it never rains.)

Some other fun things that I have enjoyed since being here were Zumba (of course) and baking an apple pie (Julia, my host mom’s way.) Zumba was led by a dance studio and was arranged by my study abroad program. I really have loved this program mostly because of all of the opportunities for activities and fun. If you’re looking into studying Spanish abroad, consider Spanish Studies Abroad. We are never bored! We have about two to three activities a week, and Zumba was one of my favorites. Also, making a pie with Julia was awesome. I have the recipe now that I plan to use in the states but sorry, I am not sharing J

Abrazos & besos




2 comments: