Thursday, July 10, 2014

Wow- almost two full weeks completed!

This week has not been too extravagant, but I wanted to share some things that have stood out to me this week.
If you didn’t get a chance to read my status on Facebook, my host family received another student this week. Her name is Stephanie, and she is from Belgium! She is a beginner in Spanish and knows a little English. My status mentioned due to the fact that her Spanish is weak, I have taken the role of a translator in our house. My family speaking no English and Stephanie speaking hardly any Spanish, makes times interesting. But I feel so cool I get to translate between the two!

I thought it would be interesting for those back in the states to read some big differences that I have noticed here, so here it goes:
{-You have to wear shoes in the house.
-There is no pepper in this house or on the table. I reached for the black shaker at the dinner table only disappointed to find that there were two salt shakers- one black and one white shaker.
-If you don’t eat at least two servings, they think you don’t like the food.
-Topless beaches- need I say more?
-Walk everywhere… it’s not a problem, but it is simply different than walking for pleasure like I do back home.
-All clothes & graphic tanks are written in English- which is strange because English is not common here.
-They sell so many sweaters… I don’t understand why because it never goes below 60 degrees here.
-People smoke cigarettes here like it is no one’s business. Seriously. Every other person I walk by smokes (strange to me that it would be more than the obvious in the states)
-The food is nowhere near like Mexican food! I think the only thing they share is guacamole!
-Finally, I would like to point out that I have been mistaken for an Italian twice, yet people try to speak English to me? }

I also noticed that my level of understanding has increased dramatically! Sometimes I can only understand because I can’t think of the correct wording to reply with. My vocabulary grows about two words a day. Now I have about 55 new words total, give or take a few.

Tomorrow, July 11th, my two friends and I are leaving for Rome Italy (for the weekend!) We are very excited to say the least! Follow me by facebook or Instagram @millieeep for more pictures and updates while in Italy.
Hasta Luego,
Millie


No comments:

Post a Comment