Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Hola de España


                 I am starting to wake up from this dream that I am back in Alicante and beginning to create a daily routine. It is very similar to my last experience here but with different people and a different homestay. Although I am happy to be back, the beginning of the trip was slightly less than a dream.
                This year I flew into Barcelona instead of Alicante to cut costs and save money. I thought it was a smart move on my part since I consider myself to be frugal and since I paid for the flight with my savings account. Once the trip was about two thirds complete, I began to realize you pay for the convenience. The flight to Alicante would have been about 200 more dollars than flying to Barcelona and also tacking on a $100 fee that Shorter applies to be picked up from the airport (another convenience fee), so it really sounded great once I started doing the math.
                So then came the actual trip, the flight was perfect. By that I mean, as perfect as economy seats can be. I flew from Atlanta to JFK (~2.5 hrs) and then I flew from JFK to Barcelona overnight (~6.5 hrs). Once I arrived in Barcelona was when it all began to go downhill. Since I was needing to get to Alicante the fastest, most efficient way, I needed a train ticket to Alicante. There are only a few trains that leave from Barcelona to go to Alicante each day, so I was hoping to be able to catch the 12 o’clock train because the trip by train is 5.5 hours. Well I totally forgot that since it was an international flight, I would have to go through customs. I brushed it off, no problem but when I realized the line for the customs was slightly long and the airport only had six stations (three stations for international citizens and three stations for citizens of the E.U.) open for each person to go through the customs process, I began to notice how long it was actually taking. (Side note: I promised a few people I would let them know once I arrived in Barcelona, but the free wifi didn’t work- of course.)
                Finally made it through the line, brushed it off and said “okay, time to make up my lost time.” Found my luggage and moved on to locate the train station. Well, I stood in this line for just tourism to find out 10 minutes later it was not where I need to buy the train ticket. Next, I had to locate the area for the bus to the terminal for the train station. Not so easy locating the “free green bus for terminal 2.” I had to crack out my Spanish a little earlier than expected. After going to two busses that were not the free ones, I finally found the correct bus to terminal two. Well, big surprise, terminal two was about a 15 minute bus ride. So once I arrived at terminal two for the train station, come to find out I had to catch that train to catch the actual train that would take me to Alicante. At this point it was 11:30 A.M. There was no hope to catch the 12 o’clock train but I did finally locate the ticket office and was set for my trip at 3. I was dead. I had only had two hours of sleep, mas o menos. The 3 o’clock train was not ideal, but I finally made it to Alicante.
                Traveling is enjoyable but traveling can be difficult. I love it. I learn more about myself and I grow every time I leave my comfort zone.

Hasta luego,

millie


No comments:

Post a Comment